JOHANNESBURG WITH CHILDREN
If you’re in Johannesburg with children and looking for suitable places to visit below is a list of 60 places to visit. This is the first half of the 120 strong list. There are restaurants listed, activities and a places that combine both.
This list is based purely on suggestions from over 100 moms living in Gauteng who have visited these establishments with children of varying ages.
Personally, I cannot vouch for many of these places as they are new to me but I hope to explore as many of them as I can in the upcoming months.
I am not affiliated with any of the places listed below and I cannot attest to their parking, quality of the food or safety. Please look up each place you intend visiting (the web address is listed alongside the address) and confirm for yourself whether it is a place you want to visit of your own accord.
1 – 60 KIDS ACTIVITIES FOR WHEN YOU’RE IN JOHANNESBURG WITH KIDS
Where we have visited the place listed you will find a link to our full review.
The suggestions below were published in the order that they were received. Each of the headings contains a few suggestions. The lists are not conclusive as part 2 may also have ideas in the same category.
Please read this list of activities together with Part 2 which you can access at 61 – 120 of Kids Activities in Johannesburg and Surrounds.
Eating out in Johannesburg with Kids
- Pappachinos Fourways Sevens Decor Centre, Cnr The Straight & Witkoppen Roads, Pineslopes, Fourways.
- Pappachinos Clearwater Cnr Christian De Wet and Erasmus Roads
- Happily Ever Laughter 24A Riley Road, Bedfordview.
- Cest la vie (centurion) 69 Blackwood Rd, Centurion, 0014.
- Serendipity 48 Keyes Avenue, Rosebank, Johannesburg.
- Tres jolie Plot 22, Peter Road, Ruimsig (between Honeydew & Muldersdrift).
- Table 29, Midrand 5 George Rd, Glen Austin, Midrand, 1685.
- The Thatch Cafe 520 Kromdraai Road, Krugersdorp.
- Munch, Bryanston GardenShop Bryanston, 278 Main Road, Bryanston.
- Eden East in Iredell 497 Shannon Road, Bredell, Kempton Park.
- Malagueta Edenvale 2 Main Road, Edenvale.
- GOG Lifestyle, Plot 126 Nooitgedacht Farm, Krugersdorp (opposite the old lion park).
- Munch, Parktown North GardenShop Parktown, 167 Jan Smuts, Parktown North. I had my second baby shower here but haven’t been back in two years. I hope its still as lovely as it was.
- Papachinos Broadacres Broadacres Superstar Complex, Corner Cedar & Valley Roads
- Kidz Fun House 11 Sunrock Close, Sunnyrock Park, Ext 2 Edenvale, 1401.
- Smile Cafe, World of golf Maxwell Dr, Midrand, 2066. Check out My Smile Cafe Review.
- Bambanani in Mellville 85, 4th Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, 2092.
- Jimmy Jungle [email protected], Shopping Centre, Corner of Hendrik Verwoerd Drive & Rooihuiskraal Drive, Centurion.
- Traffic Land Balfour Park Shopping Centre, Highlands North.
- Tumblebugs, Benoni 152 Glen Gory Rd, Benoni, 1509.
Arts and Crafts
- Art jamming Shop 27, Melrose Arch Piazza (next to Woolworths).
- Smudge Art Kingfisher Drive Shopping Centre, Kingfisher Drive, Fourways.
- Seedpod studio Broadacres Garden Centre, Corner Cedar & Valley Roads, Fourways (next to Mugg & Bean, Woolworths entrance).
- River Cafe, Sandton Field and Study Recreation Centre Sandton Field and Study Centre, Corner Louise Avenue and 14th Street, Paramore Sandton.
- Color Cafe Shop 14, Hyde Square Shopping centre, Cnr Jan Smuts Ave and North Road, Hyde Park.
- Footloose Trout Farm for fishing 101 Ridge Rd, Deepsluit, Midrand, 2153, South Africa.
- Putt putt and rock climbing at Emerald Casino 777 Frikkie Meyer Blvd, Vanderbijlpark, 1900.
- Tree tops adventures R511 & Erling Road, Johannesburg, 2181.
- PWC Bike park 1A Libertas Rd, Sandton, 2191.
- Bounce Fourways Mall, Lower Level – Adventure Golf Entrance, Corner Fourways Bvd & William Nicol, Fourways.
- iJump Clearwater Crossing Clearwater Crossing, Corner Hendrik Potgieter and Christiaan de Wet, Strubens Valley, Roodepoort, 1739.
- Rock Climbing at Emerald Casino 777 Frikkie Meyer Blvd, Vanderbijlpark, 1900.
- Yeesh Woodmead Unit G6, Woodmead Commercial Park, Waterfall Crescent, Woodmead.
- Acrobranch Centurion The Big Red Barn, C/O Nelson & Glen Road, Sunlawns Estate, Olifantsfontein, Centurion.
- Avalanche Upper Level, Cedar Square, Cedar Square Shopping Centre, 43 Cedar Rd, Johannesburg.
- Fourways Adventure Golf Entrance 5, Fourways Mall, Corner William Nicol & Fourways Boulevard, Sandton.
- Acrobranch Melrose James & Ethel Gray Park, Melrose Street Extension, Johannesburg.
- Bounce Midrand Waterfall Lifestyle Centre, Woodmead Dr & Maxwell Dr, Jukskei, Midrand, 1682
Animals and Nature
- Bird Garden, Monte Casino. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bird Garden and am preparing a review.
- Irene Dairy Farm Nellmapius Drive, Irene, Gauteng.
- Willow feather farm Portion, 37 Sterkfontein Ave, Centurion, 0157
- Kloofendaal Nature Reserve Galena Avenue, Kloofendal, Roodpoort.
- Douglasdale Dairy
- Riversands farm village Do not trust your GPS. On Google Maps search for Riversands Marketplace or check out the map on the website.
- Mushroom park Sandown, Sandton, Johannesburg, 2031.
- Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens, Roodepoort Malcolm Rd, Poortview, Roodepoort, 1724.
Unusual Activities when in Johannesburg with kids
- Mapatiza 52 Mercury Avenue, Crowthorne /Kyalami, Midrand Johannesburg.
- National Museum of Military History 22 Erlswold Way, Saxonworld / Randburg, 2132.
- Science museum newtown Corner of Miriam Makeba and Helen Joseph (formerly President street) Streets, Newtown, Johannesburg.
- SAA museum Rand Airport Transvaal Aviation Club Building, Germiston, 1419.
- The Yard, Woodmead Johannesburg 11 Meadows End, Woodmead.
- AJs in the Park, Craighall Park 33 Abercorn Avenue, Craighall Park.
- Take a trip on the Gautrain various locations around Johannesburg.
- Planetarium Wits Planetarium, University of the Witwatersrand, Yale road, East Campus, Braamfontein.
- National Children’s Theatre 3 Junction Avenue, Parktown.
- People’s Theatre Johannesburg, Theatre Complex, Corner Loveday and Hoofd Streets, Joburg Theatre Complex, Braamfontein.
- Bryanston Organic Market 40 Culross Rd, Bryanston, Johannesburg, 2196.
- James Hall Museum of Transport Pioneers’ Park, Rosettenville Road, La Rochelle.
- The Wondercave 520 Kromdraai Rd, Kromdraai, Krugersdorp, 1739.
- Tangaroa Strawberry Farm GPS Co-ordinates South 25.7933 degrees, East 27.7649 degrees; or South 25 degrees, 47′, 36.3″, East 27 degrees, 45′ 53.6″. Directions are available on the site.
All information correct at time of going to publication. If you are the owner or operator of one of the activities listed above and you require amendments to the information provided please contact me at [email protected]